Tuesday

Book Review - Lost Mission




In the late 1700's, a Franciscan monk dreams of establishing a Catholic mission in California, to bring the love of Christ to the lost Indians who live there. In modern times, a beautiful Catholic woman from Mexico crosses the U.S. border illegally to bring the love of Christ to the lost people who live in the same area of California. Though they lived hundreds of years apart, their stories are inextricably, powerfully interconnected. Lost Mission is a deeply moving tale of pain and guilt and revenge – but mostly, it's a tale of love.


Just when I think I have this writing thing figured out, along comes a book that blows all my carefully learned “lessons” out of the water. Athol Dickson’s style is all his own, and it’s completely captivating. I was drawn in to Fray Alejandro’s world from the first page. I felt his deep desire, his passion for Christ, his pain when his mission didn’t realize the success he’d hoped for. The way Dickson smoothly transitioned from Alejandro’s time to Lupe’s time was beautiful every time. And Lupe also became larger than life for me, a real person with a deep and overwhelming desire to spread the love of God. In fact, every character in this book drew me in to their individual stories, and I loved the way they intertwined with one another.


If you’ve read Athol Dickson’s previous books, you already know you have to read this one. And if you haven’t, Lost Mission is a terrific introduction to this talented author’s work. Buy the book. Read it. You won’t regret it.