Thursday

He's There 24x7

I've shared with you before that my family has adopted Psalm 91 as our "signature' passage of scripture. We use it as a form of blessing whenever we part, as in, "I love you! Bye! Psalm 91 on you!" That's because this Psalm is a testimony of the assurance to those who "make the Most High your dwelling." In other words, live in His light.

I've wrestled with some personal struggles recently, and I've felt the urge to add Psalm 91 to my morning Bible Study routine. (I'm following Phillip Yancy's Two-Track Reading Plan.) At the end of my daily reading, I've been flipping over to Psalm 91 and reading it aloud.

Now, I KNOW Psalm 91. I have prayed Psalm 91 many times. But the other day something struck me anew about verses 5-6:

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.


In my many previous readings, I focused on all the things I have no reason to fear -- night terrors, arrows (whether physical or spiritual!), destructions, accidents, plagues. This time I was struck not by those elements, but by the timing. This passage assures us that there is no time, ever that God isn't with us. Not in the middle of the night, not in the heat of the midday, not in the afternoon or the morning or the light of day or the dark of night. When we need him for whatever reason, He's always there.

Yes, I know this probably isn't earth-shattering to most of you. But it was profoundly comforting to me to be reminded that my heart does not beat one single time without my Father hearing it.