Monday

Psalm 44

I've been going through an interesting activity in my morning Bible study and prayer time recently. I'm praying the Psalms. A pastor talked about praying the Psalms in a sermon I heard a couple of years ago, an the idea appealed to me, so when I finished my latest Beth Moore workbook, I started.


It's been an amazing experience, and I've barely begun! My typical approach to Bible study is to go through an organized study, either of a specific book of the Bible or of a specific topic, like prayer, or the life of the Apostle John. I surround myself with commentaries and several different translations, and do lots of cross-referencing and ... well, studying. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to learn anything by just reading the Bible with no commentary. How wrong I was! The Bible really is the living Word of God, and it's amazing how He makes it come alive for us when we ask Him to.


Take, for example, Psalm 44. The first part talks about the victory the children of Israel had over their enemies, when God gave them the promised land. I read it aloud, and when I got to verse 3, I stumbled over the words:


It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.


I've been going through a very trying ordeal lately. I'm feeling exhausted and defeated in this area, and just about ready to throw in the towel. But this morning, the living Word of God reminded me -- the victory isn't mine to win. It's God's to win! And He will use His strong arm, His right hand, on my behalf because He loves me!


I hope you're as blessed by that truth today as I am!