Friday

Praying Psalm 58 - Really?

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I've been praying the Psalms in my morning Bible study and prayer time. I'm absolutely loving it. It's amazing how God's Word comes alive, how I find relevance and truth for my life today in words penned thousands of years ago.


This morning's Psalm was... uh... interesting. It was written by David, the psalmist who penned such beautiful words as, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." When he wrote Psalm 58, he was obviously upset at the leaders of his day. Okay, I can identify with that sometimes, but man! Take a look at this:


"Break the teeth in their mouths, O God; tear out, O Lord, the fangs of the lions." (v 6)



"Like a slug melting away as it moves along, like a stillborn child, may they not see the sun." (v8)



"The righteous will be glad when they are avenged, when they bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked." (v10)



Eeeeewwww! That's some gruesome stuff! Obviously, David was a little upset at the injustice and evil he saw in his country's leaders. As I read through that Psalm, I'm thinking, "Lord, how am I supposed to pray that? I can't think of anybody I want to melt away like a slug."


Something occurred to me. The Apostle Paul assured us in Ephesians that our struggle isn't against flesh and blood, but against the forces of evil. Okay, I'd like to see the evil forces that torment men melt away like a slug.


Then I read the last verse of Psalm 58:

"Surely the righteous still are rewarded; surely there is a God who judges the earth." (v11)



My heartfelt prayer as I read those words was, "Lord, thank You that Jesus is my Advocate. That you count me as among the righteous not because of anything I've done or haven't done, but because of His sacrifice, and His blood that washes me clean. I'm going to pray for our leaders to walk in wisdom, and I'm content to let you figure out all the vengence stuff."


Is that the right message to get out of Psalm 58? I have no idea, but this is my prayer time, and that's my prayer. It will have to do.