Sunday

A Year-Long Reminder


I spent the afternoon taking down the Christmas tree. They sure do come down a lot faster than they go up, don't they? There's something a little sad about un-decorating the tree, about taking the ornaments off the branches and placing them in their boxes to be stored up in the attic where I won't see them for eleven months. The front room looks spacious with the furniture all back in their original positions. The fireplace mantle looks a little bleak without the stockings and garland, though, and the entertainment center looks bare without my snowman collection.

One decoration stays out all year long at my house – a nativity set. It’s a simple one, the three pieces formed with artistic, graceful curves. I leave it out year round for a couple of reasons. First, because I think it’s beautiful. And also because whenever I look at it, I remember that the coming of the Christ child was just the beginning. His first coming was quiet and humble and almost overlooked. But the next time, He’s not coming quietly.

“At that time, men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.” (Mark 13:26, NIV)

Christmas shouldn’t be something we only contemplate once a year. Remember, the best part of Christmas is the first six letters. And Christ is with us all year long.