Monday

Things I Love About Christmas - Movies

I love Christmas movies! I don't care if I have seen them a gazillion times, there are some movies that I absolutely will not miss. And for some reason, watching the DVD isn't the same as finding them in the TV Guide. I'll say to my husband in the morning, "Guess what's on TV tonight????" Then at the appropriate time, I'll park myself in front of the television and munch on fudge and Christmas cookies while we watch. There's something special about knowing thousands of other people are watching the same movie at the same time. It's like something we share, and it makes the moment more special.

(Sometimes my husband watches willingly. Other times he must be 'gently' reminded that it's Christmas, and it's his sworn duty to watch Christmas movies with his wife.)

The Christmas television season gets kicked off with the first showing of, "Miracle on 34th Street." The old version, with Natalie Wood and Maureen O'Hara. That's usually shown sometime during Thanksgiving weekend. And of course I absolutely must see "A Christmas Carol" at least a half-dozen times. There are dozens of versions, but my favorites are the old 1951 version with Alistair Sim, and the one with George C. Scott. Awesome! (I watched a couple of "updated" versions within the past week with women in the lead role, and I'm sorry, but it's just not the same.)

The movies don't have to be classics, though. I adore the Hallmark channel during the month of December, because they run a heart-warming (and often romantically sappy) Christmas movie almost every night. I watched one with Kristin Chenowyth the other day, and then one with Gary Sinise the next night. And then Mrs. Miracle, based on a story by Debbie Macomber. I love them! One of my favorite modern movies is, "The Family Man" with Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni. Wonderful!

But my all-time favorite Christmas movie ever is Dr. Seuss's, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." The original cartoon version, not the Jim Carey remake. (Though that one is good, too, but it is a totally different experience from the original!) I have watched that movie so often I can quote it word-for-word, and sing every song note-for-note. My cell phone ring tone during December is, "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch." It drives my husband crazy! All I have to do to get a rise out of him is start: "Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot. But the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not!" He rolls his eyes and covers his ears and shouts, "Stop! Stop! I can't take it anymore!" What would Christmas be if I couldn't quote the Grinch at my husband? :-)

You know why I like Christmas movies so much? Because they always -- always -- show people's heart's changing. Do you know what changes people's hearts? It's the selfless love of a Father who would send His only Son to die in order to save a world full of people in need. At Christmastime, we stop focusing on ourselves and look around, and we're not afraid to reach out a hand to someone else. That's God's love in action, and I like watching it happen. Yes, I know most movies are fiction, but sometimes fiction can open our eyes to see things, and people, we might not see otherwise.

What are your favorite Christmas movies? I want to know!

P.S. In case you missed my Christmas greeting video, I'm including it again here. It's short - only 20 seconds. Take a look!

>