Wednesday

In 2009, I'm Resolved

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a New Year's Resolution kind of girl. I have had only one really successful resolution, and that was nineteen years ago, when I quit smoking. I took my last puff at 11:59, and then snuffed the cigarette out and flushed the rest of the pack down the toilet. Hard work, as anyone who has done it will certainly attest. The following month was one of the toughest ever – for me, and for anyone who came within snapping distance of me. Maybe that’s why I haven’t had the courage to make any more resolutions since!

But this year is different. This year I have a resolution, and I want to tell you about it. (They say if you really want to do something, you should tell everyone you know, so they can hold you accountable!)

First, a little background: I spoke at a retreat this fall, and at the end of the day we had a time of prayer for one another. One of the other speakers, a lady I've only met a few times, approached me very hesitantly. She said, "I've been praying for you the past few weeks leading up to this retreat, and I feel like the Lord has given me a word for you." She seemed almost embarrassed as she went on. "I feel like He's saying three words to you, "Pause. Relax. Expect.'"

Have you ever had one of those moments when something penetrates into your very soul? It was like those words zinged through me and resonated throughout my being. I knew immediately that she'd heard from the Lord correctly. And I knew what He was saying to me. I've had a very busy couple of years since my first book came out, and I've allowed myself to be caught up in a kind of frenzy. I've spread myself way too thin. There's been so much to do, so much to achieve, both in my writing and in my personal life. I've been so busy being in charge and striving to accomplish more and more and more, that I've forgotten that I'm NOT in charge. He's got my life and my career well in hand. I can trust Him with those things, and He'll do a MUCH better job with them than I've been doing!


So I believe my goal for 2009 was given to me directly from the Lord, through one of His faithful servants. I will Pause. I will Relax. I will Expect. And I'll sit back and watch for the awesome things He's got planned for me.