Saturday

Christmas with the Smiths

Well, Christmas is over for another year, and I'm feeling a little sad. Why don't we stay in touch with extended family throughout the whole year, instead of waiting for Christmas? But I guess that's one of the things that makes the holiday special.

Here are a few pictures of my Christmas fun. First, here's me in a very special Christmas gift - a fun fur scarf made especially for me by a reader friend. How cool is that? Thanks so much to my talented new friend, Pat.



Next, I want to show you the display on my living room coffee table -- it's all about the Grinch! Click on the picture to see a bigger shot. My son-in-law delights in feeding my Grinch-fetish, and he has given me most of these collectible pieces in the past couple of years. (Don't worry - I do have a nativity scene in a place of honor, as well!) My husband is not happy about my fascination with the Grinch, and he especially hates it when I launch into a recitation of Dr. Seuss's book. (I can recite most of it from memory - and in Voice, too!) But he tolerates me. And leaves the room whenever I put on the movie.

We had so many family gatherings over Christmas that I have TONS of pictures to enjoy! I wish I could share them all with you, but the Internet would come crashing to a halt if you tried to display them, and my family would put out a contract on my life if I displayed their antics in public. But I do want you to see my sisters on Christmas Eve. That's me on the left, Beth in the center, and Susie on the right. Beth came down with some sort of terrible stomach bug that morning, so she wasn't feeling her best. And she'll probably shoot me for posting her picture, but I think you'll agree that she's beautiful even when she's sick, right? Can you guess which of us is oldest, middle, and youngest?

When the Christmas family stuff in Kentucky was over, we flew to Salt Lake City on Christmas morning and arrived in time to have Christmas dinner with my daughter, son-in-law, and my daughter's in-laws. We also arrived to a downpour, and the rain put a damper on the day (pun intended!). But only for a while. Around eight that night my husband called me to the window with, "Ginny, come here. You won't believe this." It was snowing -- and I mean snowing a lot!!! Here's what our yard looked like when we got up the next morning. And here's a shot of how my poor husband spent the day after Christmas.


It snowed off and on all day on the 26th, and he had to shovel several times. And then we got up on Saturday to an additional inch (thank goodness - just ONE inch more!). Ted went out to shovel and called me to, "Come quick. You've got to see this sunrise." This shot was taken from my front porch, of the sun coming up over the eastern mountains.

I hope your Christmas was as good as mine! May we all enjoy God's blessings during 2009.