Thursday

The Right Clothes Make All The Difference

My husband and I recently went on an incredible motorcycle ride in southern Utah. We spent three days on the bike touring the scenic roads and national parks with a fun group of biker dudes. It takes a lot of planning to get ready for a trip like this.


Of course, the most important part of the preparation is the same as on any trip a woman takes – the clothes.


I got myself some snazzy new biker gear for this trip. As I was planning my wardrobe, I spoke with a woman who teaches the motorcycle safety course in Salt Lake City and asked her advice on what to buy. Motorcycle clothing is expensive, and I wanted to spend my dollars wisely. I was prepared to spend big bucks for a new helmet, because I know how important head protection is.


And I wanted a new riding jacket like the other women who ride, made of reinforced mesh with protective pads at the shoulders, elbows, and back, and a full zip-out liner. But did I really need to spend money on, say, boots and riding gloves?


This woman looked me calmly in the eye and said, “You only need to wear protective gear over any body part you wish to keep.”


Oh.


Oh.


Well, when she put it like that… “Honey, I need the credit card. I’m going shopping!”


My husband almost didn’t let me on the back of his bike when he saw my colorful, wacky helmet, but as far as I’m concerned, if you’re going to dress like a biker, you might as well do it in style.


The important thing is, besides looking good in my new biker outfit, every body part was protected.


During the six-hour ride down to Escalante National Park, I contemplated the obvious Biblical comparison. The Apostle Paul describes the protective gear God gives us in Ephesians 6--the belt, the breastplate, the shoes, the shield, even the helmet. When we clothe ourselves with this gear, we’re protected from the spiritual attacks of the enemy. Complete and total coverage.


And trust me, friends, when we put on this protective gear, we’re traveling down God’s road totally in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!