Friday

The Schizophrenic Writer

Writers are always talking about 'branding,' or establishing your place in readers' minds and hearts with one particular style of book. For instance, if you pick up a Stephen King novel you expect a chilling, supernatural horror story. You know Nora Roberts is going to deliver a satisfying romance. John Grisham will take you into the deep south and a legal thriller, while C.J. Cherryh will transport you to the outer reaches of the galaxy. 
Then you get to me. I don't have a genre. My writing career has been like a dizzying tornado that touches down here and there, picks up again and then hits ground in an entirely different place. I just finished writing my 36th novel, and by my count I have:
  • 1 sweet romance
  • 5 historical romances
  • 2 chick lits
  • 4 women's fiction
  • 1 amish novel
  • 5 small-town humor stories
  • 15 mystery/romantic suspense (16 ifyou count the one I just finished)
  • 1 illustrated children's book
  • 1 Biblical story with sf/f elements
I mean, really! No wonder my agent just shakes her head when I tell her, "I've got an idea for a new kind of story." The problem is, I like to read all kinds of stories. And when I read a really great one, my brain starts asking, "I wonder if I could do that." And then I have to try. Not exactly a great career decision, huh?
The other day I came to the harsh realization that I'm not getting any younger. (surprise!) Maybe I'd better figure out what I do best and settle into one genre. Could you help me out? What do you expect when you pick up a Virginia Smith novel? Which are your favorites?  I hope you'll leave a comment here and let me know.

6 comments:

  1. See, you think about that differently than I do, Ginny. I think I'm not getting any younger so I want to write the stories I want to write without thinking I have to write a certain type story. But in answer to your question and for looking at your list, it seems romantic suspense or mystery has been your go to genre. I hope you get some responses from other readers to let you know what they think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ginny! The two books I've read were small-town stories. So that's what I think of when I see your name. :-)

    Cheryll Snow
    www.amazon.com/author/cheryllsnow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Goose Creek! I would love to make a career writing about Goose Creek. Thanks, Cheryll.

      Delete
  3. Since you've been successful to this point, why change? I know I'd find myself in a rut if I only wrote in one genre. Looking at your list, I agree with Ann that you seem to lean toward mystery/romantic suspense, and perhaps even romance if you combine the chic lit, historical romances, women's fiction, and sweet romances. And, if you're honest (and I'm sure you are) in your reply to Cheryll, then make a go of your career with the Goose Creek series. Even John Grisham, Stephen King, and Nora Roberts (J.D. Robb) like to break away from their perceived genres once in a while. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Michael! I do love Goose Creek. But...I love sf/f and mysteries and... I just love books! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment!