Tuesday

Grandma's Bible

Long ago I heard a song about Grandma's Bible. I remember something about it being tattered and the binding being cracked from years of usage.

This morning when I finished my morning prayer time, I set my Bible (that's it in the picture) on the table where I keep it, and my gaze fell on the cover. Gosh, I thought,  that's really tattered. The spine is kind of cracked. The pages are dog-eared and many are marked up with underlined or highlighted passages. Maybe I need a new one. 

A split-second later I came to my senses. I've had this Bible for years, and can't even imagine getting another one. I may not always remember the exact chapter of a specific verse I'm looking for, but I know where it is on the page. I can find it by flipping through a few pages. If I got a new Bible the verses might be located in a different place, or even on the wrong side! So no, I'll keep my tattered old Bible.

Then something occurred to me: I'm a grandma! THIS is Grandma's Bible to my grandkids! They see the evidence of constant usage just by looking at it, and that tells them something important. And of course they see me demonstrating the things I've learned from this special Book over the years.

I tried to find the song I heard long ago, but I couldn't locate it. I did find another song with the same title sung by the Heritage Singers. Here are the lyrics:


GRANDMA’S BIBLE 

Oh, I love to go to grandma’s, fresh cookies in the pan 
I can see her at the table, her Bible in her hand 
I love to hear her read the Word, she knew that God was real 
Oh, I love to go to grandmas, His presence I could feel 

“Cause it was grandma’s Bible that told us the way 
And it was grandma’s Bible that taught us to pray 
And it was grandma’s Bible that told us right from wrong 
And it was grandma’s Bible that helped our faith grow strong 

And it was grandma’s Bible that told us to care 
And it was grandma’s Bible that taught us to share 
And it was grandma’s Bible that taught us to forgive 
And it was grandma’s Bible that taught us how to live 

©2017 Heritage Singers. All Rights Reserved

That song doesn't say anything about a worn  Bible, but it's still a pretty great song. I hope my Bible, and my example, have that kind of impact on my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!