Saturday

A Romantic Cowboy

Only 2 days left beore the release of A Cowboy at Heart is dwindling! And onlye ONE DAY let before the drawing for a Kindle Fire (along with copies of the books by me and Lori Copeland! The drawing takes place on March 31. Have you entered? Click here for details on entering.

Cowboys KNOW romance! Thank you, Jacquelyn F!

“My dad was my cowboy at heart. We had a small herd of cattle and a flock of sheep, which was unheard of back in the ‘50s. You just didn't mix the two. But he did the sweetest things for his 'girls' as he called my mom, my sis and me. Because of length, I can't describe his romantic proposal or the midnight wedding they had, but he never stopped showing his love for our mother with simple acts of tenderness. He gave her yellow roses on special occasions or for no reason except to say 'I love you.' Mother had told him the story of the first car she saw as a little girl, a model T, and how she had always hoped the owners would invite her to ride in it when they crossed the creek where she often played. My father, called Dado by us children, found out that the car still existed and went after it to bring it home as a surprise for Mother. We had more fun with that old car, driving it in parades and around our little farm community.

Dado surprised Mother one evening when they'd been married about six years. After a long day of work at a wholesale where mother also worked alongside Dado, he didn't come home until late and Mother had kept supper warm, although she wasn't happy about the delay. And she was even more upset when he didn't explain why he was late. As they sat down to eat, he asked her if she'd get the ketchup, which also infuriated her because she thought he could get it himself! But she got up, went to the refrigerator and opened the door to find a gift wrapped box. Inside was a watch she had admired in a store window when they had made a trip to Clovis, 30 miles from their little community of Friona. He had driven over after work to get the watch. My Dado was a big man, 6'2", broad shouldered and big hands that completely enveloped my own big hands for a girl. He was gentle, kind, soft spoken and admired and respected in our community. A man's man, a cowboy at heart, that was my 'Dado.'”