Tuesday

Fresh Truth in Reruns

I'm beginning a new Bible study this week - Beth Moore's "Breaking Free." I went through this study around 10 years ago, and it ministered some powerful truths to me then. I've done more than a dozen in-depth formal studies since that time, as well as less formal daily readings and studies. It's funny, but I've thought a lot about this particular series a lot lately. And then, voila!, Lifeway released a revised version. As soon as I saw it on the shelves this weekend, I knew it was time to go through the study again.

The signature verse of the introduction session I listened to today is this: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (Gal 5:1) In her introduction, Ms. Moore reminds us that the Apostle Paul was speaking to Christians - Believers - people who had openly acknowledged Jesus and accepted Him as their Savior. From this we learn that even those of us who have been set free by Christ can fall into bondage again, unless we are vigilant in guarding againset it. But the Word of God is powerful and can break the bonds that bind us, that stop us from enjoying every ounce of freedom that Jesus gave us.

I can't tell you how excited I am to begin. I just know the Lord will lead me in new directions and teach me new things. Yes, it'll be a rerun. But you know what? I watch movies over and over again. I read books over and over again. I do that because I love them, and no matter how often I revisit those worlds, they still have the power to touch me. How much more, then, is the transforming and ever-fresh Word of God?