Thursday

Ten Years Later

(The following is from my September 2011 Newsletter. You can see the whole newsletter here.")


When I typed the dateline for this issue of my newsletter, I realized that this month is the tenth anniversary of 9-1-1.

Isn’t it funny how everyone knows exactly what I mean when I type those numerals? I don’t think there’s a person alive who can read this newsletter who doesn’t remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard of the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and the heroics of the passengers on the hijacked plane that went down near Shanksville Pennsylvania. Even people who live in countries other than the United States remember that day. Almost 3,000 people died during the attacks, and I know I speak for millions when I say I mourn their loss. Not only that, but thousands have died since that day. Please join me in praying for those who love them, and continue to feel the loss deeply.

Whenever I think of September 11, 2001, I am reminded of one of the most precious things I have – my freedom. And I am not referring to citizenship in any nation. The apostle Paul said, “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” (Galatians 5:1 NIV) I rejoice in the fact that Jesus died for my freedom - mine, and yours too!

I hope you’ll join me this month on September 11th in remembrance of all who have lost their lives for the sake of freedom – especially the One who died to set us free for eternity.


Virginia Smith