Sunday

A Prayer for Our Nation

I downloaded a free Kindle book yesterday, and started reading it last night. I'm not much of a nonfiction reader, so if a nonfiction book gets my attention, you can bet it's a good one. Powerful Prayers for Troubled Times, Praying for the Country We Love by Stormie Omartian grabbed me immediately. Ms. Omartian is an acknowledged expert on prayer, as evidenced by the many books about prayer she has published, which have found a huge audience. Download the free Kindle book here. Or if you prefer to read a physical book, you can purchase it from ChristianBook.com, Amazon.com, or Barnes and Noble.com

Since today is the tenth anniversary of Sept 11, 2001, the prayer in the first chapter really grabbed me. I found myself praying as I read her words. I'm including it here in the hopes that you'll join me in prayer.

Lord, I pray for the people of this country to find healing for the memories of the terrible tragedies that have happened in our land. I pray especially for those who have lost loved ones in defense of our country. Give them a greater sense of Your presence so that they may find Your comfort. Provide for their every need. As we weep with those who weep, help us to bear their burdens in prayer. Pour Your healing love over them so they will know Your peace. Help us not forget why we must "pray without ceasing" for our nation to be protected. Help us to remember that the only things in this world that are indestructible are You and Your Word.

Your Word tells us that there will be cataclysmic events that will happen in the world, but I pray that there will be an end to disasters or tragedies in our nation. Even if those kinds of events do occur, I pray that You will protect us in the midst of them. Turn the heart of our nation toward You. Awaken in us a new realization of our need for Your guidance and protection. Give us a new understanding of what is really important. Your Word says that You have "bourn our griefs and carried our sorrows." Bear our griefs now, carry our sorrows, and put gladness in our hearts as only You can do.

Lord, tech me how to be a powerful intercessor for my family, neighbors, community, city, and nation. Help me to pray consistently and with great understanding. Give me revelation and insight that guides my prayers so that I may pray more effectively. Help the believers of this nation to rise up together and learn to pray in power. Enable us to teach our children how to pray as well, and help us all to understand what it means to be a nation whose God is the Lord. In Jesus' name I pray.