Tuesday

What's Another Day?

Today is my birthday! My first conscious thought of the morning was a prayer, "Good morning, Lord. It's my birthday." I know you'll probably think I'm crazy when I say this, but sometimes I can feel the Lord's response. Not in words necessarily, but I will get an impression of His love, or His regard, or even His humor. So it didn't surprise me when my comment elicited in a warm feeling of love and happiness. I think He is glad I was born lo these many years ago!

Over my first cup of coffee, my husband gave me a card that pokes fun at my advanced age, and we both had a good laugh over that. The best part is the tender, loving note he wrote in the card.

Then I sat down to do my daily Bible study. Back when I first started reading the Bible, I would ask the Lord to give me a Scripture about a specific issue, then open the Bible at random. It seemed my eyes would always fall on EXACTLY the right verse for my current situation. I haven't done that in years, but this morning I decided to take a break from my reading about the prophet Elisha. I asked the Lord, "Would you give me a verse today, like you used to?"

When I opened the Bible, my eyes fell on this verse: "You have cut short the days of his youth." EXCUSE ME?!?! I think the Lord just gave me a verse that pokes fun at my advanced age! I sensed the definite feeling of humor, as though my heavenly Father was gently ribbing me, and I had to laugh too.

Of course, on the facing page, my eyes were drawn to this verse: "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom" (Ps 90:12). What a great reminder for me on my birthday - my days are not measured in terms of age. My days are measured in terms of my fellowship with Him. One of my favorite worship songs burst melodically into my mind at that moment: "Better is one day in your house than a thousand elsewhere."

I want as many of those days as possible!