Sunday

Tips for Keeping In Touch

Since the release of my latest book, Third Time's a Charm, I've had tons of people tell me about their relationship with their sisters. And I've had many people tell me, "My sister and I live so far apart it's hard to stay in touch. How do you do it?" Here are some simple tips for maintaining a relationship regardless of the distance.

----

Eight Tips for Maintaining a Relationship with your Sister


In today’s busy world, it’s easy to let a relationship slide. That’s true regardless of whether you live nearby or far apart. Here are some tips for maintaining a strong relationship with your sister.


Scheduled Phone Calls – Communication is the key to any relationship, so don’t leave it to chance. Select a specific day each week for an uninterrupted phone call. Put your sister on your cell phone “Favorites” so you can talk free.


Text Messages – Texting is the preferred method of communication for one of my sisters. Be sure you have unlimited texts on your cell phone plan.


Utilize the Internet – Email and social networking sites like Facebook are wonderful ways to stay connected. On Goodreads and LibraryThing you can keep track of what your sister is reading, too.


Skype – If you both have a computer with a camera, this software allows you see each other while you talk – and it’s free.


Letters – Email is wonderful, but there’s nothing like reading your sister’s words in her own handwriting.


Cards – Next time you browse the card shelves, pick up several funny ones and tuck them away in a drawer. Send one every so often to surprise your sister with a laugh.


Sister Sleepovers – Even if you live near one another, there’s nothing like getting away from it all with your sister. Schedule an annual sleepover at a lodge, or hotel, or even at someone’s house. Leave the kids at home, and focus on having fun with each other.


Start a Tradition – Create a tradition you share only with your sister. For instance, my sister and I exchange ugly ornaments at Christmas every year. We spend months shopping for the ugliest ornament we can find, and love the competition of seeing who “wins” that year.

----

I'm sure there are tons of other ways for keeping in touch. I'd love to hear how you stay in touch with your sister!