Saturday

Ice Cream - a Personality Indicator?



I've had the privilege of being interviewed many times since my first book was released, often by other writers who post interviews on their websites or blogs. I'm always impressed with the questions other writers ask, because they make me stop and think. But one question that has always stumped me, and one that crops up time and again, is this: "If you were an ice cream cone, what flavor would you be and why?"




At first I thought it was a silly question, but then I realized the answer could reflect a lot about a person’s character and personality. So in my latest release, Scent of Murder, I decided to use it as a way for Caitlin and Chase to get to know each other. Chase says of Caitlin’s favorite, Rocky Road: “Rocky Road is a blend of flavors, which says you’re not satisfied with anything plain. I think it means you have a wide range of interests and enjoy variety in life.” Whereas Caitlin says Chase’s double dose of chocolate in Double Chocolate Chunk means, “You work twice as hard as anyone else, not because you have to but because you enjoy the results. You’re not satisfied by simply getting a job done, but are driven to do it exceptionally well. In other words, you’re an overachiever.” That scene turned out to be one of my favorite scenes.


My favorite ice cream flavor is Praline and Cream. What does that say about my personality? Hmmm… Pralines look like nuts but when you bite into them, you get a pleasant surprise. Maybe that means there’s more to me than meets the eye; I look like a nut, but I’m not! The smooth, creamy part is my easygoing personality. (Though my husband might disagree at times.) I love the thick ribbon of caramel and the touch of cinnamon, which could mean I’m not satisfied with “plain” but enjoy a little spice in my life.



What about you? What’s your favorite ice cream flavor, and what does that say about your personality?