Saturday

Vacation - Aaaaahhhh!

As I write this, I'm enjoying a healthy dose of Florida sunshine. My daughter called yesterday and informed me in a voice full of disgust, "It snowed today. Again."




Thank you, Lord, for vacations!





My husband and I went on a Caribbean cruise this week, and enjoyed a bit of scuba diving in one of our favorite destinations, Cozumel. (I'm not posting pictures of that, because trust me - "bad hair day" doesn't begin to describe the look!) One of the ports we visited was Costa Maya, Mexico, pictured here. Whenever we're in Costa Maya we love to spend the day on this private beach, just laying in the shade, enjoying the ocean-scented breeze, and losing ourselves in a good book. This visit was our first since Hurricane Dean blasted its devastating way up the coast of Mexico, so it was sad to see some of our favorite shady places had disappeared. Even so, the calming sound of the surf breaking gently on the soft white sand beaches worked its magic on us. We walked away refreshed.


Are vacations Biblical? I can't cite a specific scripture reference off the top of my head, but I know one of the best blessings God offers me is rest. When I get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, I find myself drawing closer to Him. I slip into rest mode (sort of like my computer lapses into sleep mode after a period of inactivity), and I'm more aware of Him recharging my batteries.


I needed that this week. Especially when it's snowing back home!